Hey! Congratulations! You found the page where I get to tell you how great I am while “forgetting” to mention all of my shitty qualities.
If that’s what you were hoping to find then I assure you that you will not be disappointed. I am pretty fucking great. Thanks for noticing.
Okay, I guess that’s enough horn-tooting for now. I mean, I really would like to continue, but instead I’ll tell you who I am, my journey, what this site is, and what you should expect if you sign up for my emails. Which you totally should. I could brag about myself more if that would help to convince you. No? Okay.
Who is Patrick Griffith?
To get started, here are 21 assorted tidbits about me.
- I believe that the world would be a better place if we all saw each other naked on a regular basis.
- My senior year of high school was the first time I ever lifted weights. After years and years of endurance running I was hooked. I started that school year at 6’3” 140lbs. At the end of the school year I was the same height and 208lbs.
- I graduated college one semester late because I accidentally forgot to take one elective. I had taken the minimum amount of credits the semester before because I thought I was all set.
- Sarah and I grew up across the street from each other. We’ve known each other incredibly closely for 24 years. We carpooled to school together and spent our summers playing basketball together.
- I’m irrationally afraid of heights. It’s the only irrational fear that I have that I’m aware of. But I still go rock climbing twice per week. YOU WILL NOT OWN ME!
- My wardrobe is almost entirely merino wool. And I wear every merino garment, including my underwear, multiple times between washes.
- I don’t use soap or shampoo when I shower. Because I came across some compelling arguments not to. When I did use those things I had constant dandruff and mild rosacea. Now I have neither.
- I once ran a half-marathon with no shoes on (no, not even “barefoot” shoes) having done only two training runs in the preceding year.
- I think cardio is stupid and that any healthy person could finish a marathon without any specific training. I’m firmly convinced that I could finish a marathon in under four hours on one mile or less of training per week. I’m waiting for someone to make me a sufficient wager before proceeding. Interested?
- Sarah and I don’t have internet or TV in our apartment. And I have a flip phone. But I don’t hate technology, I promise.
- Sarah has seen my cry three times in the 24 years she’s known me. One of those was during Marley & Me.
- Sarah and I moved to Boulder, CO from Wilmington, DE in February 2017. We freaking love it. I also briefly lived in Las Vegas once upon a time. I loved it less.
- My favorite sport is disc golf.
- My favorite nonfictions books are How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie and Deep Work by Cal Newport. My favorite fiction books are The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear, both by Patrick Rothfuss.
- I actively try to avoid the “news” and will politely ask people to stop if they start to tell me about certain doom-and-gloom world events.
- I believe that perfectionism is a terrible “quality” in a person. It’s something innate in me and I fight it every day.
- I own one sweatshirt, two of the same pants, one pair of shorts, five of the same underwear, and three of the same t-shirts. I have other clothes for special occasions and activities, but the aforementioned is what I’m wearing 99+% of the time.
- When people ask me “what do you do” I struggle with the answer.
- I’ve tried yoga several times in the past and it’s never done anything for me. But then I tried a class by a woman named Jenna Bee, and it was different. I’m not sure what exactly was different, but something about the experience was truly majestic. I’ve been back every week since.
- I believe that there are zero words that are inherently offensive. Though I admit that some words are offensive in 99.9999% of the contexts in which they are used.
- I think that shoes should be treated like gloves. They are tools that make certain activities easier, but they shouldn’t be worn all the time. And there is nothing gross about feet.
Patrick’s Journey, What This Site is All About, and What You Should Expect
Patrick is typing…